Witnesses Take Stand in Case of Man Accused of Planting Explosiv - WBOY - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Witnesses Take Stand in Case of Man Accused of Planting Explosive Devices Around Weirton City Building

Posted: Updated:

A man arrested after explosive devices were found outside the Weirton City Building on May 5 of this year appeared in court on Monday for his preliminary hearing.

David Patterson, charged with three counts of criminal use of an explosive device, appeared in front of Magistrate Mike White on Monday after the defense had asked for a continuance in the hearing last month. During the hearing, Sergeant Ricky Grishkevich, with the Weirton Police Department, took the stand and described the discovery of the devices. The night of May 5, Grishkevich said he observed a 2-liter Mountain Dew bottle with some type of chemical and nails inside of it outside of the employee entrance of the city building where police officers walk in. He then noted two other water bottles at the entrance of city building and under a cruiser. When the police chief arrived, Grishkevich said officers defused the bottles by shooting at it with a gun, after which Grishkevich said he could feel his lips go numb and smell ammonia. He then noted a green substance in the bottle with various size nails and aluminum foil. Officers then contacted the FBI, took the devices, and classified the case as a “weapons of mass destruction” investigation.

Another witness took the stand and claimed Patterson told her how he had made the devices and transported them to the city building. Patterson allegedly told the witness he had learned how to make the devices on the internet, using works material like Draino. The witness said Patterson at no point denied that he was the person responsible.

Patterson allegedly told the witness he was angry with the federal government and “wanted a shoot out with FBI agents at his residence.”

The defense in the case argued that Patterson wasn't sure about a lot of the questions police were asking him during his police interview, and said Patterson was highly intoxicated. The defense also said Patterson stated that he was never trying to hurt any Weirton police officers.

The case will now be sent to circuit court to be presented to the grand jury. Patterson’s bond remains at $75,000.

Powered by Frankly