Buckhannon Family Bouncing Back After Losing Home In Fire - WBOY - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Buckhannon Family Bouncing Back After Losing Home In Fire

Posted: Updated:

It was just after midnight Tuesday morning. The fire that started in the bathroom of Dustin Lane and Kristin Ross's apartment on Barbour Street in Buckhannon set off their fire alarm. The fire damaged a few rooms on the second floor of the building, but quick action by Ross got everyone, including his young son, outside safe and sound.

"I looked in the room, saw that there was smoke in there, so I kicked down Bradley's door, ran in there, grabbed him, went downstairs, knocked on my neighbor's door downstairs, busted out the glass, he came running out because he wasn't waking up," said Lane.

The timing couldn't have been much worse for Ross and Lane. They're engaged, and have only lived in the area for a few months, and until recently hadn't been living on their own.

"We literally have only been living there for a month. We had other roommates and they moved out, so we just got everything set up," said Ross.

For now, all three are staying with family just outside Buckhannon, but they're already looking for a new place to call home.

"That's the only thing I'm thankful for is that we have so many people calling us, with baby clothes, and asking us what size clothes do you wear to try to help us out," said Ross.

While the fire didn't spread through the whole apartment, Ross says most of their possessions were ruined by water as the fire company fought the blaze. Ross says outside of a few items, most of those don't matter, and she's happy to have her family safe.

"Eventually we'll get everything back. There's some stuff we can't replace, baby pictures and other things like that, but we can make new memories," Ross said.

Powered by Frankly