UPDATE: Man Sentenced After 2014 Fatal Hit-And-Run in Fairmont - WBOY - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

UPDATE: Man Sentenced After 2014 Fatal Hit-And-Run in Fairmont

Posted: Updated:
MGN Online MGN Online
Fairmont, WV -

UPDATE (6/15/2015 at 6 p.m.):

Cole Valentine was sentenced Monday morning in Judge Aloi's courtroom after a hit-and-run incident involving death in March 2014, in which he also left the scene.

Valentine entered into a pretrial diversion agreement stating that he would serve two years of probation. If he complies with his probation, in two years, he will plead no contest to leaving the scene of an accident with injury, which is a misdemeanor charge, and serve less than a year in jail and/or pay a $1,000 fine.

Valentine's probation stipulations involve drug and alcohol testing, continued enrollment in Pierpont Community & Technical College and 250 hours of community service directly related to highway safety or impaired operation of a vehicle. 

UPDATE (3/2014):

Fairmont police have made an arrest in the hit-and-run incident that happened early Sunday.

Cole Valentine, 19, was charged with leaving the scene of an accident involving death. Lieutenant Steve Shine from the Fairmont Police Department said Valentine confessed after he learned of Michael's death from media reports.

Valentine was driving a friend's 2013 Hyundai Elantra when the incident occurred, Shine said. He and some friends left the Goal Rush Bar in Worthington around 2 a.m. and were headed Kingmont.

Police believe Raymond Michael, 37, of Fairmont had fallen or was lying in the roadway on Fairmont Avenue, when he was struck by Valentine, who left the scene without attempting to render any aid to Michael.

It also appears there were at least four witnesses to this case, who were either in Valentine's car or driving in the car behind him. None of them volunteered any information to assist in this investigation. Shine said this is an ongoing investigation.

Valentine was released on $25,000 bond.

UPDATE (3/2014):

Fairmont police have identified the man killed in a hit and run incident early Sunday.

They said Raymond Michael, 37 of Fairmont, was walking along Route 250 when a silver Hyundai traveling south ran him over, then fled.

Michael was pronounced dead at the scene.

Investigators said the vehicle sustained front end damage, mainly to its undercarriage and wheel well area.

Muriale's Restaurant said it was able to provide police with surveillance video. Police are asking anyone with information to please come forward.

Anyone with information should call the Fairmont Police Department at 304-366-4200.

ORIGINAL (3/2014):

Fairmont Police are investigating a fatal hit and run incident.

It happened around 2:15 a.m. Sunday on Route 250 South before Muriale's Restaurant.

Police said a man was walking along Route 250, when he was struck by silver or white Hyundai.

The vehicle may have a red stripe going down its side. Investigators believe the driver of the vehicle was a man, police said.

Police believe the driver was aware he struck something, as initial reports indicated he got out and checked his vehicle.

The vehicle would have sustained damage to its undercarriage as a result of the hit and run, police said.

Police are still waiting for the medical examiner's office to positively identify the victim.

The incident is still an on-going investigation.

Anyone with information should call the Fairmont Police Department at 304-366-4200.

Powered by Frankly