A damage assessment is currently underway after Saint Joseph's Hospital in Buckhannon experienced a roof fire on Thursday.
It happened around 5 p.m.
Hospital officials said the fire is likely due to an exhaust pipe overheating during a full-load generator test. This test is part of required routine maintenance.
Three fire departments were called out. The fire had been contained to a localized area by the hospital's engineering staff, and was quickly extinguished.
Roof damage appears to be in an area over the O-R Department, with one of the operating rooms being out of circulation, officials said.
Emergency surgeries will be conducted as necessary and O-R schedules will be limited for Friday, Feb. 7th, until it is ensured that the damage is corrected.
"As a result of the quick response both internally and externally, the fire was quickly contained, limiting extensive damage," said St. Joseph's Hospital President and CEO, Sue E. Johnson-Phillippe.
Johnson-Phillippe added, "I can't thank everyone enough for their efforts to assist in coordinating the response to the situation, and we will continue to provide updates as we learn more."