Marshall County Community Wonders About Safety After Plant Fire - WBOY - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Marshall County Community Wonders About Safety After Plant Fire

Posted: Updated:

It was definitely not something you want to hear in the middle of the night, a natural gas plant next to your house is on fire and could potentially blow up. But quick thinking by some neighbors and authorities helped keep everyone safe in one small Marshall County community.

Just before 1:30 Saturday morning, a Marshall County Sheriff's deputy notice one stack at the still-under-construction Dominion plant off of Route 2 was on fire.

The small community of Kent is right down Route 2 from the Dominion plant and we're rocked by the sounds of explosions once the stack caught fire.

"We just started hearing explosions, then I heard something that sounded like a crash and then another big explosion. We decided at about that time that we better get out," said Arwana Wade, a Kent resident.

Once the Wade's decided it was time to head to safety, Arwana's husband Delbert started making sure his neighbors were safe.

"I got excited and starting waking the neighbors up, we got a widow woman living next store to me with a blind daughter and there's a couple of older people around the neighborhood and they all kind of look to me," said Delbert Wade.

The fire was finally put around 8:30 Saturday morning and Route 2 was reopened around 9:30 AM. Although there were no injuries this time, the neighbors are still worried about what might happen once Dominion finishes construction on the plant.

"We don't feel safe, we don't know if it's going to get any worse," said Delbert Wade. "I mentioned it to them before and they said 'We have it under control. It's just releasing pressure on the smoke stack.' But they didn't tell us it was going to blow up and shoot fire everywhere."

7 News did speak with Dan Donivan of Dominion and they are currently working with the West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection to find out what sparked the fire Saturday morning.

Powered by Frankly