A local fire department is facing some big deficits after a huge fire earlier this year.
Belington Fire Chief Phil Hart said a March fire that burned for 10 days in Barbour County severely drained the department's resources.
The fire, which started on March 8, occurred after a Southern States truck carrying between 3,500 to 4,000 gallons of propane ignited. The fire was close to acetylene tanks, which is a gas used in welding that is highly flammable. Emergency crews closed Talbott Road while firefighters worked to get the fire under control.
The fire continued to burn for the next 10 days, during which time fire officials referred to it as a "controlled hazard" and feared that piping failure could have occurred in the back of the truck, which was exposed to heat and flames, and could have led to a rapid uncontrollable discharge.
Belington firefighters had to let the fire burn itself out, which finally occurred on March 18.
Fire equipment used in the fire suffered damage from the extended use, some damaged beyond repair.
The one incident alone took about an eighth of the Belington Fire Department's yearly budget.
Stay with 12 News for more on this story next week.