A fire woke the resident of a garage apartment on Montana Road in Marion County early Thursday morning.
Winfield District volunteer fire fighters were called to the property around 2:30 a.m. By the time they arrived, though, the garage was already destroyed.
Firefighters said the cause appeared to be a blanket left too close to a heater. The resident got out of the garage and firefighters said there were no major injuries reported.
Firefighters estimate the total damage at $40,000.
The fire caused minor damage to a nearby house and boat.
The Bunners Ridge and Valley VFDs were also on the scene with Marion County EMS and the Sheriff's Department.