Eddie Washington Extradited to WV, Second Man Named in Connectio - WBOY - Clarksburg, Morgantown: News, Sports, Weather

Eddie Washington Extradited to WV, Second Man Named in Connection to Fairmont Cold Case

Posted: Updated:
Eddie Jack Washington, 59 Eddie Jack Washington, 59
Courtesy of: Fairmont PD Courtesy of: Fairmont PD


A second man has been named in connection with a 1974 triple homicide at Windmill Park in Fairmont.

Criminal complaints said Eddie Jack Washington and Phillip Reese Bush shot and killed Guy Phillips, Wanda Phillips, and William Cobb nearly 40 years ago.

Bush has not been formally charged in the case.

Washington was arrested in Florida earlier this month and was extradited to West Virginia.

He arrived Wednesday night.

Washington is in North Central Regional Jail awaiting arraignment.

Original Story

A man wanted on first-degree murder charges from 1974 in Fairmont was arrested Thursday afternoon in Tampa, Florida.

The Fairmont Police Department said its officers, along with West Virginia State Police and assistance from U.S. Marshals, arrested Eddie Jack Washington, 59, on three counts of murder, according to a press release.

"Although there is still more investigative work to be done, the successful outcome of this decades-long investigation was only possible through the hard work and dedication of many investigators, Marion County Prosecutors Office, and law enforcement agencies," said Fairmont Police Chief Kelley Moran, in the press release.

Fairmont police said the bodies of Guy Lester Phillips, Wanda June Phillips, and Billy Ray Cobb were discovered at Windmill Park in the Jackson Addition area of Fairmont. Lawn keepers found the bodies in an open field inside the city park in the morning hours of August 2, 1974, according to the press release.

All three victims were shot to death, according to police.

The Fairmont Police Department expressed its gratitude to the Carbarro and Chapel Hill Police Departments in North Carolina for their assistance in the case. Police from the three departments, along with the United States Marshal Service and West Virginia State Police, had been working together to determine Washington's whereabouts.

Over the years, police conducted countless interviews, but the leads grew cold, according to Fairmont Police.

Washington is being held in the Hillsborough County Jail in Tampa.

Chief Moran said Washington waived his right to an extradition hearing on Friday and learned the terms of his extradition to Fairmont on Tuesday.

Washington will be brought back to W.Va. within two weeks, according to Chief Moran.

Marion County Prosecuting Attorney Pat Wilson said Friday that "there very well may be a second arrest."

The case is still under investigation.

Powered by Frankly